Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Ohio's Origin Point Seen from Above

Last month, I had the chance to fly above the spot where the Ohio river forms. The confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela has given birth to many things, the Seven Years' War, the great city of Pittsburgh, and at least one nice piece of music for high school bands. Though of course I care the most about the mighty river that these two currents merge to become. The Allegheny and Monongahela are not simply tributaries to the Ohio. They are more like parents, whose fluid offspring has gone on to influence humanity in some important ways. In my mind, this joining of rivers warrants special attention, so I took a few pictures from far overhead. Despite some tech problems, these photos are finally ready to be shared. I hope you enjoy the pictures below.

(Note: My description of these images as depicting  two parents creating their offspring was just meant as a simile, though I caution they may be too graphic for any bodies of water of an impressionable age.)

Those little white dots where the river forks are Pittsburgh, and trust me your city doesn't look very impressive from a few thousand feet up either.

This photo is a little hazy because my eyes were misting up thinking about how beautiful the Ohio is.

I like this angle because it shows the Ohio flowing off into the horizon, as if to meet destiny.

Look Ma, it's the curvature of the Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment